Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Unit 7 reflection

Transitioning for our last unit on bones, this unit hit on major muscle, how they function, and how our bodies can be influenced by substances. A few of my favorite muscles we learned include the latissimus dorsi which is located along the side of the rib cage, and triceps brachialis which is the antagonist of the biceps, because I do many bodyweight exercises. I’ve been trying to learn how to muscle-up which requires both strong lats, and strong triceps. All movement requires muscle contractions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuIFXY2uwaM&feature=youtu.be.This unit also targeted what our muscles can do. What I remember the most is stretching our muscles and how flexibility is key. Our muscles can move and stretch, but some more than others. As we get older, our muscles become less flexible. Stretching our muscles aligns the collagen fibers in the connective tissue with the tension. Each sarcomere is being pulled to its limit, and the the connective tissue are pulled as well. I think of ballerina dancers and how they are so agile and flexible. I wonder what kind of mental dedication and strength they have to reach such high levels of flexibility and to maintain it. I really related to this subtopic because of my injuries with my hamstrings and how I rehabbed to gain my flexibility and strength back. To further our knowledge muscles and where they are located, we did a chicken dissection which ran smoothly. Group work is a big aspect of the class, and I’ve really began to understand how to make things work. Flexibility is not only important for your muscles but also as a person; If someone else wants the same position, we have to learn to step aside at times. On the topic of stepping aside, I do believe that my orginal new year's goal will have to be alternated due to my schedule with track. I don't have much time to lift on my own, so I highly doubt I will be reaching my deadlift goal, but as for my grades I’m doing well. Through this unit and 20 time I have learned a great deal about management. Juggling my time with various activities and duties makes it hard during the week to balance everything. The more I took on the more lost I felt; however, I came across a quote that reads “Do not pray for an easy life,pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.” -Bruce Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment